Effective Ways to Lighten Dark and Pigmented Lips in Ayurveda
Lip care is as essential as skincare as it gets exposed to environmental factors like Sun, UVA, UVB rays, dust, dirt and pollution. Also, lips being temperature sensitive, the hot caffeinated beverages harm the skin if adequate care isn’t taken. Pigmented Lips occur due to these external factors and hormonal imbalance, deficiencies like B12 and dehydration. As per Ayurveda,” Oshtha”, a Lip is a part of the oral cavity, and regular oral care rituals help maintain the health of lips too. Unlike the rest of facial skin, which has sebaceous glands that produce oil, lips are devoid of it and hence have a natural tendency to chap and darken. Let us understand the steps to remove the darkening of lips.
Honey and Sesame Oil
Massage your lips with Honey and Sesame oil once a week. Leave on the mixture for 5-7 mins and rinse it off. Honey is a natural moisturizer that hydrates and lightens lips, while sesame oil repairs and heals chapped and dry lips.
Soak fresh petals of rose petals in milk for 15 minutes. Add honey to it and grind the mixture to prepare a semi-thick paste. Apply the mask to your lips, leave it for 10 minutes, then rinse it. The lip mask helps lighten the lips' tone and keeps them soft.
Practice the Ayurvedic ritual of Oil Pulling every morning. Hold ½ Tbsp Sesame oil/Coconut Oil in the mouth and spit it after 5 mins. This method prevents oral disorders, refreshes the breath and keeps the lips nourished, accelerating repair.
Make a lip scrub by mixing 1 tsp of Triphala with ghee and gently massage the lips. Leave it on for less than 5 mins, rinse it off and follow up with lip butter. To save time, you can try T.A.C Vitamin C Lip Scrub. Made with safe Ayurvedic ingredients, it gently exfoliates dead skin cells on lips and keeps them plump and hydrated. The antioxidant vitamin C helps lighten the uneven tone and makes the lip brighter.
Following the given-below can further help in preventing dark lips
- Opt for lip balm with SPF protection: Pigmented lips occur due to sun exposure, and to prevent further damage, it is always best to apply an SPF-enriched lip balm regularly.
- Keep yourself hydrated: Drink sufficient water as per your lifestyle and thirst. Extreme heat and air-conditioned surroundings lead to dehydration, which may cause a dark appearance of lips.
- Use a Lip serum: It is rich in potent oils that keep the lips hydrated throughout the day. Apply Kumkumadi Lip Serum, leave overnight to seal moisture and lighten dark lips. Alternatively, after the lips scrub, you may apply lip serum for 15 mins and then wipe it off.
- Limit your caffeine and alcohol intake: These are dehydrating in nature and cause hyperpigmentation. Also, quit smoking cigarettes as it is one of the most significant factors for the darkening of lips.
- Use quality cosmetics: Switch to cosmetics with naturally derived pigments, as highly pigmented colour cosmetics have toxic metals that cause hyperpigmentation. T.A.C Mighty Beet Lip & Cheek Tint is infused with the goodness of Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter & Beetroot for the right amount of colour and nourishment to lips.