Ayurvedic Herbs for Treating Acne
There is one thing that has united teenagers throughout time and space. Acne. So it is no wonder that the ancient and time tested science of Ayurveda had something to say about it.
As per Acharya Charak, Acne is known as Yuvan Pidika.
YuvanPidika = Yuvan (Young Person) + Pidika (Painful)
The concept of acne has not only been deeply studied in Ayurveda but also has a solution rooted in the power of natural herbs and ingredients.
What causes Acne according to Ayurveda
- Puberty – the body undergoes developmental changes
- Diet – foods that are excessively spicy, sour, sweet and salty such such as sugary desserts, curd, milk, fermented food products, bakery items and sesame oil
- Lifestyle – Disturbed sleep cycle, inadequate sleep, over-exposure to the sun.
- Season – In seasons with imbalanced Kafa dosha, such as Spring, Autumn and Summer, the skin is more prone to Acne.
Tips: Suffering from Back Acne
Acne on ack maybe caused due to over active sebaceous glands on the back, sweat, dandruff and clogging of pores due to synthetic fabrics.
To avoid this:
Wear breathable fabrics such as Cotton, Linen and Mulmul
Use antibacterial Ayurveda herbs enriched body scrub such as Nalpamaradi Body Scrub, 2-3 times a week and keep your hair & scalp healthy.
Types of Acne according to your Dosha
Our skin has the presence of Doshas, which determine the skin’s health and as per imbalance results in developing skin concerns. The vitiation of doshas in the skin defines the type of Acne caused, there are three types:
- Vata – many and painful eruptions
- Pitta – inflamed and painful outbreaks
- Kafa – prominent and thick eruptions
To find out about your Skin Dosha, head to the Dosha Quiz now and determine your Acne as well as Skin type.
Treating Acne with Ayurvedic Herbs
Having a diet rich in Tikta rasa, bitter taste, and light on the stomach helps better digestion of the food and improves gut health. The following herbs are beneficial for addressing Acne:
- Property: cooling and sebum balancing. The volatile oil rich in this herb has a purifying and deep cleansing property that helps tackle
Benefit: deep cleanses irritated and inflamed skin.
T.A.C Eladi Sunscreen with Neem is infused with purifying neem that purifies your pores while protecting your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- Property: anti-bacterial & anti-fungal activity.
- Benefit: Helps in treating breakouts, pimples, blemishes, eruptions and rashes.
- Property: Blood purifying properties. Rich in antioxidants.
- Benefit: cleansing skin impurities internally and externally. Improve texture and complexion of skin. Tackles acne scars and dark spots.
- Property: Rich in essential nutrients that
- Benefit: Hydrates, soothes and repair the inflamed skin. Removes the excess sebum.
T.A.C Aloe Vera Gel with 24K Gold Flakes has been formulated as a lightweight gel to soothe and calm inflamed skin and boost elasticity.
- Property: Astringent properties.
- Benefit: Removes excess heat from skin for Pitta balance. Removes extra oil, minimise pores, treat Acne and evens skin tone.
How to prevent Acne
- Ensure good skincare daily, such as pH balancing face wash, twice a day in A.M. & P.M. skincare.
- Use lightweight & hydrating moisturiser, apply oil-free, non-comedogenic sunscreen during the day and aloe vera gel-based night moisturiser for soothing & healing the skin.
- Avoid spicy, hot, sour, salty, processed food, refined flour products, fermented food items, excess dairy products, and incompatible food items in your diet.
- Ensure to use herbs such as Manjishtha, Neem, Aloe vera, Chandan and Multani mitti in your face packs to soften the skin.
- Applying skin healing oil such as Eladi Tailam, T.A.C Kukumadi Face Oil & Tea Tree oil should be practised regularly.
How to remove Acne scars
- Be patient and consistent with your skincare regime. Cleansing-Toning, Moisturising & applying Sunscreen every morning.
- Exfoliate the skin at least once a week followed by clay-based face pack.
- Incorporate anti-oxidant rich diet, with fresh seasonal fruits & vegetables, suitable Ayurvedic herbs for boosting the skin repair.
- Ensure an active lifestyle with 30 mins of exercise, good sleep cycle & relaxation activities, as they help in skin recovery process.
- Make sure to incoporate your skincare as per your Prakriti, that is Ayurvedic Body Type. Head over to Link find out your Skin Dosha now!