Top 3 Monsoon Hair Care Tips in Ayurveda You Cannot Afford to Miss
Comes the monsoon, comes the tiny droplets, earthy aroma and greenery. Everything all around seems so pleasant and beautiful. Hair fall becomes common during the monsoon due to the dazzling rainfall.
Hair gets more affected in the monsoon as compared to other seasons. Why? Our Ayurvedic Expert, Dr Nikhita will tell you some fantastic Ayurvedic hair care tips and tricks to clear up all your doubts, do's and don'ts.
Why Does Hair Fall Occur in Monsoons?
Our environment and body are made up of tridoshas, namely vata, Kapha and pitta. The imbalance of vata dosh causes hair and scalp-related issues like dryness, frizz and hair fall.
Other than these doshas, environmental changes play a significant role. During monsoon, humidity triggers an oily scalp. Washing hair too often reduces the moisture content, increasing dryness. Also, the damp scalp is a breeding ground for hair fall and dandruff.
However, following the below-given Ayurvedic approaches will help tackle common monsoon hair care woes.
Oiling Your Hair
A head massage is a time-tested nuskha from Grandma throughout your growing-up years. Integrating Ayurvedic hair oils into your hair care regimen helps achieve healthy hair. Keshya, Bhringraj , Amla, and Methi are some of the specialised Ayurvedic herbs that help improve blood circulation and trigger the growth of dormant hair follicles.
How to Apply Hair Oil in Ayurveda?
Take a Kansa bowl & warm Amla & Methi Hair Oil using the double boiler method, which helps activate the herbs and deeper penetration of oil in the hair follicles. Apply the oil by sectioning your hair, and then massage the scalp with kneading finger movements. Leave this oil on for at least 30 mins before hair wash.
DIY Natural and Ayurvedic Hair Packs for Monsoon
We all love and trust homemade DIY ingredients in skincare and hair care. Blending the potent ayurvedic herbs in your hair care regimen will help you achieve healthy hair.
How to Apply it?
- For thick and healthy hair, mix ½ cup of aloe vera gel with 1 tbsp of castor oil and apply it to your scalp. Leave overnight and wash off the following day.
- You can also use the pulp of fresh hibiscus leaves crushed with methi seeds, apply for 15-20 mins, and do hair wash as usual.
- You can also incorporate the Methi & Amla Hair Mask with the goodness of hair repairing ingredients for an accessible hair spa at home. Add 1 tbsp of Aloe Vera Gel with 24K Gold flakes to 2 tbsp of Methi Amla Hair mask for tackling scalp woes like dandruff. Apply it to your scalp and hair shaft and keep it for half an hour.
Use Paraben and Sulfate-Free Shampoo
Commercial shampoos are loaded with paraben and sulfates that dry up the hair's natural moisture and cause damage, making them frizzy and brittle. Always choose sulphate and paraben-free ayurvedic shampoos, as they are gentle on the hair. It helps clarify dirt impurities from the scalp without losing its natural moisture. Besides cleansing, it imparts natural shine and softness.
Additional Monsoon Hair Care Tips by Ayurvedic Expert
Here are a few hair care tips mentioned in Ayurvedic texts:
- Never wash your hair with hot or cold water to ensure the hair has healthy and strong roots.
- Try to avoid the use of heat appliances for drying or styling hair.
- Never comb the hair when wet, as it is at its weakest during this time. Instead, wait until dry and then use a wooden comb to detangle as it reduces the static and distributes the oil secreted equally.
- Opt for a healthy lifestyle and a balanced diet.