Firstly, What is a Lip Balm?
A lip balm is a wax-like substance that is applied on dry and chapped lips to relieve pain and dryness. Most lip balms come in cute pots or in functional tubes with a rotator and they are very easy to apply. Most lip balm for dry lips also contain shea butter and essential oils to provide that extra layer of protection.
What are the benefits of using a lip balm daily?
Harsh weather conditions like too much sun rays and loss of humidity in the air affects the sensitive areas of our skin first. As a result, our lips get affected. They become dry and chapped due to the loss of moisture or UV rays drying out the upper skin layer. Using natural lip balms can relieve you of all these problems.
Not only that, a lot of lip balms also have a naturally plump and glossy effect on your lips. Even if you are not wearing any makeup, it puts an instant glow on your lips. Also, whitening lip balms, when applied regularly can drastically reduce pigmentation from dark and mature lips.
But hey, that's not all..
Although lip balms are very beneficial for the look and feel of your lips, in some cases they can be disadvantageous. Let’s see how:
- We use lip balms to treat chapped lips. But what if we tell you that lip balms can actually cause chapped lips? Yes, you heard it right! If the lip balm contains any allergen, it will cause a lip rash that kind of resembles chapped lips. Steer clear of “cooling” lip balms containing phenol, menthol and salicylic acid since they tend to dry out your lips more! We also recommend avoiding lip balms containing potential allergens like citrus, mint, tea tree, eucalyptus, camphor and lanolin.
- Some cheap lip balms may contain potentially harmful chemicals like paraffin, petrolatum and dyes that can damage your lips. We advise you to read the ingredients list carefully before making a purchase. If the lip balm contains any of these ingredients, substitute them with safer natural lip balms like TAC Rose Lip Butter. Infused with pure rose essential oils and enriching natural butters, this lip butter, this lip moisturizer can be your best friend!
- ALWAYS make sure your hands are clean before applying lip balms. A lot of times we carelessly slather some lip balm on with dirty hands that actually harm your lips more.
Some other uses of Lip Balms
Do you know that there are actually anti-aging lip balms? Also, a lot of lip balms nowadays come with SPF. Now, that's some protection! Afterall, UV rays play havoc on your skin, especially on your lips. The best lip balms for dark lips contain SPFs as well as antioxidants such as Coenzyme Q10. If you are looking for an anti-aging lip balm, then you should look for hyaluronic acid which makes the skin plumper. Also look for atelocollagen that acts as a moisturizer.
Not only that, you can use lip balms to soften dry elbows, knees and cuticles. They also help with grooming an unruly eyebrow hair or to fix your jammed zipper!! By the way, did you know that lip balms can also act as lip liners that help you achieve that perfect lip makeup?
Lip Balms are great, but don't get addicted..
Yes, it's a thing! You can actually get addicted to lip balms. You might always feel like putting on some lip balms just because. You might find yourself reaching out for your lip butter even if your lips are perfectly moisturised. Here are a few things you can do to counteract this:
- Identify your triggers - Think about the moments in your day when you reach for your lip balms the most. Is it something you do when you're bored frequently? When you want to make a phone call? Be cautious the next time you have the desire.
- Keep yourself busy - The finest thing you can do for yourself is to keep yourself occupied. Drink some water if you can't think of anything else to do. That ought should cheer you up!
- Choose products with natural components - Look for organic lip balms. Oil, beeswax and petroleum jelly are all excellent components.
- Cover it up - Remember we're talking about your mouth here, not your entire face! Covering your lips with a scarf or a mask may help protect you from the negative effects of cold weather in the winter.
- Avoid frequent licks - If you want to avoid drying out of your lips, don't lick your lips every now and then.
- Distract yourself - Rather than applying lip balms, try watching a video, exercising, or reading a book instead. Take your eyes off of lip balms and focus on anything else.
How much lip balm is enough?
Experts suggest that 3 times a day is enough to take care of dry, chapped lips. If your lips are extra dry, maybe one more time but that's it. Here’s the lowdown:
- First when you wake up in the morning. People who sleep with their mouths open can experience dry lips first thing in the morning.
- After any meal, your lips will naturally feel dry. So, a fresh swipe of lip balm after meal times is generally recommended by dermatologists.
- One must moisturize their lips well before retiring for the day. Make sure to always apply lip balm just before hitting the bed.
Can I use lip balm every day?
Your favourite lip balm does not have to be used every day. You should, instead, restrict the number of times you apply a lip balm each day to a maximum of three. Too much lip balm is believed to cause your lips to cease generating their natural oils completely, according to dermatologists. That's something we certainly don't want to happen!
Here are some Pro-Tips
To cut down on too much lip balm, here are some things you can try.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps replenish moisture levels in the body and this eventually benefits your lips too.
- Include a lot of fatty fish and seafood in your diet. They contain oils rich in Vitamin E that naturally improves skin health.
- Dab on some coconut oil for intense moisturisation. You can also use almond oil for that matter. Oil is natural and will not have any harmful side-effects on your lips.
- Use vaseline or aloe vera instead of the lip balm. They are equally effective in treating your dryness.
- If your lips are seriously dry or you live in a naturally dry area, opt for a humidifier. That will improve the situation considerably.
So, what are the things to look for while buying lip balms for women
The market is full of various lip balms with various functions. Among them, how to determine which one is perfect for you? Here are the things you need to know.
- It's 2021 and let's be more aware as customers, shall we? Ditch the plastic packaging and opt for glass containers. Also, many lip balms come in cylindrical tubes with rotator caps which makes it easy to apply lip balm.
- How about multipurpose lip balms? For example, tinted lip balms can double up as a lip colour as well as moisturize your lips. Take a look at our Beetroot Lip Balm. Infused with shea and cocoa butter, this ultra-hydrating product is the best tinted lip balm! Apply on the cheeks and lips for a rosy flush! The bottom line- Don't settle for basic lip balms!
- Buy a lip balm with SPF! We apply sunscreen on our face and neck everyday yet we miss the one area that needs sun protection the most- our lips! That's why experts recommend going for the ones with SPF.
- Be a responsible customer and go through the product label carefully before buying anything. Look for the ingredients we mentioned above and you will end up with a good one anyway!
Use lip balms in the right way
Now you must be thinking what's so hard about applying lip balms? You just need to slather on some and you are done, right? Wrong. There’s actually a correct way to put on your favourite lip balm. Here’s how:
- First uncap your container. If you are using a lip balm tube, then make sure not to twist it too much. Only elevate it to about half a centimeter. If your lip balm is in a pot, only take a pea-sized amount.
- First, apply the lip balm along the outer edge of your bottom lips.
- Then apply your lip lightener balm along the outer section of your top lip.
- Now rub your top and bottom lips together. This helps in spreading out the lip balm evenly across your lips.
So, are Lip Balms an absolute essential?
Given their wide range of benefits, lip balms are definitely a must-have product in your vanity bag. Not only women, even men can use lip balms since they are equally effective on tough male skin too. TAC lip balm for men and women are natural and perfectly safe to use.
Also, lip balms can be your best friend at any place. Whether you are freezing cold in Manali or trying to beat the heat in Goa, lip balms work anywhere. They help protect lips from the damage caused by both chill and sun’s UV rays.
Our Product recommendations: Ayurvedic Lip Care With The Ayurveda Co.
TAC Beetroot Lip Butter- TAC’s Beetroot Lip Balm contains plant-based essential oils, Shea Butter, and Cocoa, all of which help to keep your lips smooth and supple. Shea Butter protects the lips from being damaged. It possesses anti-aging properties that help to minimize the appearance of lip lines and discoloration. Due to the presence of cocoa, this product provides a protective barrier for your lips. Cocoa aids in the restoration of the skin and has a wide range of therapeutic properties. The plant-based essential oils moisturize the lips, allowing them to recover from their dryness and flakiness. Because of the dryness of our lips, they may bleed from time to time. This lip balm is your go-to product in these kinds of circumstances. It is devoid of potentially dangerous substances and has undergone dermatological testing. This lip balm, infused with the health of beetroot, helps to restore the natural colour of your lips while also leaving them supple and nourished.
- TAC Indian Rose Lip Butter- With TAC's Indian Rose Lip Butter, you may enjoy the benefits of rose without the sting. Infused inside the product are natural elements that will aid in the healing of dull and chapped lips. Natural herbal ingredients like Rose Essential Oil, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, and other natural moisturisers will hydrate your lips, making them full and healthy. Cocoa Butter forms a protective coating on the lips, preventing germs and other outside substances from damaging them and making them chapped. The essential oils aid in the restoration of the moisture and natural colour of the lips via their use. The lip butter has undergone dermatological testing and is completely safe to use. It is appropriate for people of all skin types. Get your hands on this product if you want lips that are soft, smooth, and healthy.
Lip balms are an essential part of daily skincare routine, especially if you have dry lips. Lip balms not only moisturize, they also make your lips look plump and bouncy. In fact, some lip balms also have anti-aging properties. All in all they are an absolute essential in your skincare routine. If you are still confused about buying one, we recommend you to go ahead and purchase. You can check out TAC’s amazing natural lip balm ranges which are organic and have no side effects on skin.