It is common to feel discomfort around your abdomen, lower back, and thighs during menstruation. During periods, the muscles of our womb contract and relax to help shed the built-up lining; This is why we experience period cramps. Apart from cramps, there are other things that you might experience, such as:
Sometimes period pain can become a special gift from hell. But don’t worry, we got you covered. Our ancestors handled period pain with simple Ayurvedic home remedies for menstrual cramps. However, we have walked too far from our roots. Nowadays, even with a slight pain in our body, we go for painkillers and antispasmodic tablets. Well, these tablets are temporary fixes that come with many side effects.
Therefore, it’s time to return to our roots and get acquainted with Ayurvedic herbs. Ayurveda emphasizes various herbs that can help women deal with menstrual problems. Be it menstrual cramps, fertility issues, white discharge, etc., - these herbs will prove to be your saviour during such situations.
Below are the best Ayurvedic ingredients to help you get through your monthlies.
- Hing (Asafoetida)
Hing is a famous Indian condiment that has more than fragrance and flavour to offer. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help curb period pain. In earlier times, hing was used to cure bloating, flatulence, and cramps. This ingredient also helps regulate progesterone secretion, thereby regulating blood flow and curbing menstrual cramps.
Asafoetida is highly used for irregular periods and overflow during periods. This ingredient is a boon for women with painful periods. Here’s how you can add this ingredient to your diet.
- Add a pinch of hingu to buttermilk; This will fire up your digestion and will help you in preventing bloating.
- To relieve menstrual cramps, you can add hing in plain water and drink it twice a day.
- Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
Used as a mouth freshener, a flavoring spice, and medicine – Ajwain is a hero ingredient! Ajwain is always present in our kitchens. What if we say that it helps you with your period problems? Sounds fantastic, right!? Ajwain is a handy home remedy that cures menstrual and digestive issues. Either used as an oil or in raw form, the ingredient relaxes the muscles, benefiting the entire system. There are two ways to add ajwain to your diet. Have a look!
- Ajwain Tea
- Add two pinches of ajwain in two cups of water.
- Boil it until the water reduces to half.
- Strain the water and add honey to it.
- Drink this tea at least 2-3 times a day for effective results!
- Adding Ajwain to Meals
- Sprinkle a pinch of ajwain to dal, sambhar, and buttermilk.
- You can also add it to the dough, while making chapatis.
- Roast some ajwain seeds and add them to a glass of milk to get relief from pain.
- Methi (Fenugreek)
Methi is another kitchen spice that is bitter, but the benefits are as sweet as honey! Methi can prove to be your best friend during periods. Fenugreek seeds help reduce the severity of period pain. It is one of the natural, simplest, and easiest ways of curing menstrual pain.
- Soak one teaspoon of methi seeds in a glass of water.
- Leave the glass overnight. The following day, drink a glass of methi-infused water.
- Gud (Jaggery)
Satiate your sweet tooth with jaggery! It is always advised to shift from sugar to jaggery while making tea, coffee, sweet dishes, etc. Jaggery has many medicinal benefits. Jaggery is rich in sodium, iron, and potassium that combat anemia. It also cures mood swings, cramps, and other symptoms of menstruation.
- Add half a teaspoon of jaggery to tea, coffee, milk, yogurt, etc.
- Another way to use jaggery is by combining it with Methi and Ajwain seeds. Make small balls using these ingredients and eat 2-3 balls on an empty stomach for the best results.
- Aloe Vera Juice
Make this green gel your best friend. Aloe Vera helps you through thick and thin when it comes to skin problems or other bodily problems. Trust us on this – Aloe Vera works like magic for your skin and hair! By ingesting this gel, you will get relief from digestive issues. That’s not all! Aloe Vera is a natural pain killer that curbs period pain too! Here’s how you can use this medicinal gel.
- Extract the gel from the Aloe Vera Leaf.
- Blend it in a juicer and add a few scoops of water to it.
- Drink this juice on an empty stomach every morning 3-5 days before your cycle starts.
- You can continue to drink Aloe Vera when you are on your periods to cure menstrual cramps.
Irregular menstrual cycles can affect the fertility of females. Shilajit, be it in the form of powder or capsules, helps regulate the menstrual cycle, thereby relieving you from period pain. It improves the oxygen flow and nutrients in your reproductive systems. To detoxify your reproductive system and get some relief from cramps, you can use 100% Natural Pure Shilajit Resin by TAC. Powdered with 84 minerals and fulvic acid, this product enhances immunity and works effectively during period pain. It helps in regulating your irregular cycles, thereby improving metabolism.
- Til ka Tel (Sesame Oil)
Sesame oil has a special place in our kitchen. From re-growth of hair to oiling, sesame oil has numerous health benefits. Sesame oil is a life savior when it comes to curing period cramps. It is rich in linoleic acid and has many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Bring about a teaspoon of sesame oil in your palm.
- Massage the lower abdomen with the oil.
- Gently stroke down the oil.
- Heat the oil and then apply it for best results.
- Cumin Seeds
Another Ayurvedic spice that can help curb period pain! It has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that give your body a soothing and relaxing effect. A cup of cumin tea can help you a lot during periods. Many studies show that cumin seeds can help in regulating period cramps.
- Boil a cup of water in a pan.
- Add a spoonful of cumin seeds to the water.
- Let the water boil for some time.
- After some time, strain the seeds and drink the warm water for effective results.
Ginger is an effective ingredient that helps in curing abdominal cramps. This ingredient has many anti-inflammatory properties that reduce nausea, headache, etc. If you want to add ginger to your diet, it is best to make ginger tea or add ginger to any vegetable you are cooking.
- Add two cups of water to a pan and keep it boiling.
- Once the water starts to boil, add ginger and jaggery to it.
- Boil the ingredients and then strain the water into a cup.
- Drink ginger tea at least twice a day to get rid of cramps. You can also try ginger green tea for abdominal cramps.
Ayurveda has a lot of ingredients that can cure various problems. Turmeric is one of the ingredients that have been used in Indian cuisines to enhance the taste of the dish. But what if we tell you that this spice can also be used for curbing period cramps? Yes, it does! Many studies have shown that turmeric in food helps provide extra relief from uterus contractions when added to milk or used in a dish.
- Add turmeric to your food as a spice.
- You can also add turmeric while drinking milk.
- While making ginger tea, adding a pinch of turmeric can be helpful.
Ayurvedic ingredients help relieve us from stress, anxiety, pain, etc. No doubt medications help us a lot. But they do have long-term side effects. Therefore, to get rid of menstrual cramps, it is best to use the ingredients from the list mentioned above. These ingredients do not have any side effects. They can help in curbing severe menstrual pain and uterus contractions. Thus, make these ingredients your best friends during your monthlies and enjoy every bit of the day!