The Wonder Ingredients of Kumkumadi Oil
Kumkumadi oil is an Ayurvedic Elixir made with more than 22 Herbs, as mentioned in Bhaishajya Ratnavali, a text of classical herbal formulations. The preparation is made by Sneha Kalpana, which is a method of making medicated oil by first preparing a Kadha of dry herbs such as Saffron, Red Sandalwood, Manjistha, Licorice, Laksha, Blue Lotus, Daruhidra, Usheer and many others, after which this decoction is infused in Sesame oil, Goat’s Milk and Rose Water until entirely blended and water is fully evaporated, leaving behind a gleaming potent oil. This preparation of Oil is known as Tailpak Kalpana and finds its first reference in Ashtanga Hruday, an Ayurvedic Text. Acharya Charak refers to the oil as highly effective in Pigmentation, Dark spots, Age spots, Blemishes, Wrinkles, Fine lines while Acharya Sushruta mentions using oils like these for Glowing & Healthy skin.
Here are some special Ayurvedic Herbs that make this preparation a must have for Beautifying and Age Defying benefits:
- Saffron- Kesar is a beautifying flower mentioned as Varnya in Ayurvedic texts, which simply means beauty & complexion enhancement. The orange colour of saffron is due to natural pigments Picrocin and Crocetin that treat the outermost layer of skin, It targets Melanin which is responsible for our skin tone resulting in lightening & brightening the skin.
- Red Sandalwood- Rakta Chandan is a Pitta balancing bark which is Soothing, Cooling, Astringent and Repairs the skin. It is rich in Santalin, an active compound which makes the mixture red in color and helps reduce irritation & redness.
- Manjistha- Manjisha helps in Purifying, Healing, Strengthening and Protecting the skin. It is rich in Manjisthin that helps in Blood purification, treats blemishes and makes the skin healthy.
- Licorice- Mulethi is a Varnya root that balances Vaata and Pitta dosha, helping improve the texture and luster of the skin. The active compound Glycyrrhizin has a sooting & a calming effect on skin and repairs UVA, UVB & Sun damage.
- Laksha- Lac is an Ayurvedic exudate for enhancing the skin's complexion and is highly beneficial to lightening Pigmentation, dark spots & age spots. As a Balya herb, it is useful in strengthening of the skin, improves blood circulation and makes the skin radiant.
- Sacred Lotus- Kamal is a Varnya flower that Nurtures, Soothes and Clears, ensuring well hydrated and nourished skin. It has active compounds such as Nelumbin and Metarbin, which lightens dark spots, pigmentation, reduces fine line and wrinkles.
- Daruharidra- Daruhaldi is used as an Ayurvedic cosmetic herb that works on all major concerns such as dullness, uneven skin tone, acne marks, dark spots, age spots and pigmentation. Tvagadoshhar property of this herb makes it bactericidal, removes impurities and helps repair the skin adding a golden glow.
- Goat Milk- As per Ayurveda Aja Dugdha, Goat Milk is densely Nutrient, Light and Cooling in properties, making it an essential ingredient in the Kumkumadi oil. It makes the oil rich in healthy fats needed for skin’s Moisturisation and Nourishment.
- Rose Water- Rose is known as an aromatic flower with cooling and refreshing properties that balance the skin. It is rich in hydration that make it effective to relieve excess heat from the skin and is useful on blemishes, eruptions and acne prone skin.
- Sesame Oil- Til Tail is the most potent plant-based oil that balances the Vaat Dosha, dryness of the skin. It is rich in fatty acids such as Linolic Acid, which strengthen, repair and nourish the skin, making it soft, supple and well moisturised.